The Bloor Street Viaduct and The Parkdale Connenction
When work on the Bloor Viaduct (renamed the Prince Edward Viaduct) began in 1915, the metal truss work was built here in Parkdale at the Dominion Bridge works on Sorauren Ave.
The original building at 289 Sorauren was sold to the TTC in 1947 to be used as a maintenance facility. It was later used as a studio for film and television productions before being demolished. Sorauren Park is there now.
Below, one of the massive steel spans being assembled at the plant. The houses on Sorauren can be seen in the background.
This is the same background as in the black and white photo above.
Below, an interior shot when it belonged to the TTC.
Below, a shot of the factory looking north on Sorauren past Wabash.
A hand tinted postcard courtesy of J.D. Lowe.
A couple of signs that were liberated just before the building was demolished.
This photo of Wabash Avenue during WW2, looking east shows what appears to be a rail car running up the centre of the street.