The sum of $52,000 was expropriated for the new City Hall, which was opened in 1845. It was Toronto’s first official City Hall. The ground floor of the building housed market stalls, the second floor Police Station #1, and the third floor the council chamber. Jail cells and the corn exchange were in the basement. The facade was an impressive 140 feet in length, with large additions on either side. It was built of contrasting white stones and red bricks. The centre block contained an impressive pediment ( triangular shape above the third floor), and an impressive cupola above it. It was evident from many vantage points throughout the city, dominating King Street East.