The N/W corner of King on John . The original occupant was Toronto’s first hospital which in turn was replaced by the elegant Arlington Hotel.
Below, a good and correct drawing!
This fire insurance map shows the hotel situated on the N/W corner.
The red portion indicates a brick structure and the yellow, the wooden porch.
Looking west across John Street in the early 1960’s. Farb’s car wash on the N/W corner was knocked down in the early 90’s and the site remained a parking lot until the Bell Lightbox was built last year. Note the neon sign.
Last year during construction.
King Street in the winter of 1961 looking west from John, Farb’s Car Wash (“The World’s Finest”) is on the right. A closer look at the south side reveals Authors and Cox sellers of medical trusses (hernia belts) crutches, supporters and invalid chairs. Behind, peaking out is a sign for Wilcox Signs, still in business and now located on Dundas near Dufferin.
The S/E corner of Richmond and John in 1935.
The same corner in 2010.
John Street in 1909.
One reason to visit Arnprior (Arn-land of, Prior-the Priory) is a stop at Wes’ Chips
located on the main road into town. The chip wagon has been here for at least 40 years and still attracts long lines of tourists and locals. The secret to a good chip is to only cook potato chips in the oil and nothing else.
Also located in Arnprior is the old O’Brien Theatre
. Built in 1919, it’s a survivor.
The O’Brien in 1930.
The O’Brien Theatre in 2010