Lost Yonge Street
Looking at the map below from 1924, everything has been demolished with the exception of Old City Hall, Trinity Church and School House and the building on the N/W corner of Yonge and Dundas. The building of the Eaton Center in the mid 1970’s also eliminated most of Albert Street, Louisa Street and Terauley Street.
For sure, all the shops on the west side of Yonge from Dundas to Queen would go except for the old Woolworth store at the Yonge and Queen corner.
That wasn’t because of any historical significance. No, it was because the site was owned by McMaster University as a result of an ancient will drawn up by a member of the Bilton family who didn’t like Timothy Eaton very much.
“[Woolwoth’s] long presence at one of Toronto’s top retail corners was aided by a stipulation landowner Naomi Bilton included when she sold the property to McMaster University (established by her father) for a dollar in 1917. Bilton had an undisclosed beef against the Eaton family and placed a condition that the property could never be sold to the Eaton’s or their related businesses.”
For those that have the patience to read.
from the Toronto World July 1, 1915:
The first one is the future site of the Eaton Centre and the remainder are ghost signs around town.