Toronto Hydro Store on Yonge
Looking south from Shuter
Continuing left to right, Tamblyn Drugs:
Tamblyn Drugs was a chain of pharmacies in Canada founded by Gordon Tamblyn.
Gordon Tamblyn was born in Belwood, Ontario in 1878. He apprenticed to a druggist in Whitby for a few months before enrolling in the Ontario College of Pharmacy. After graduating in 1901 he began work at the Burgess-Powell Pharmacy, on Yonge Street in Toronto. In 1904, with capital of $500, he opened his own pharmacy at Queen Street East and Lee Avenue, in Toronto’s Beaches neighbourhood.
Tamblyn’s Cut Rate Drugs featured a soda fountain like many druggists of that period, and offered a delivery service. He opened a second store in 1907, and in 1910 took over another store from a retiring pharmacist.
In 1911, Tamblyn incorporated his business, and began adding new locations almost every year, eventually expanding into other parts of Ontario. During the 1920s, Tamblyn’s chain expanded to about 60 stores, primarily in Toronto and area. Tamblyn died on August 17, 1933, during a round of golf at the age of 55.
George Weston Limited purchased the chain in 1960, and continued to operate it alongside its Loblaws chain of grocery store, creating a “T” logo to match loblaws’ L logo. The chain declined under Weston’s management and was sold to the United Kingdom’s Boots Group chain in 1978. Boots changed the stores over to the Boots name, and later sold the chain to Pharma Plus group.
Morris Bachrack, the well-known Toronto merchant, who died on March 17, 1919, left an estate valued at $95,615. This included real estate, being his home at No. 337 Sherbourne street, valued at $18,000; household goods, valued at $1,000; book debts, $21,000; insurance $3,877; $30,000 stock in the Bachrack Company, Limited; $900 in shares in the Cosmopolitan Club of Toronto; $19,800 in the bank, and an automobile valued at $1,000.
By his will, his three sons, Benjamin, Solomon and Emanuel, of New York, were appointed the executors of the estate. The $30,000 in shares of the Bachrack Company was divided equally among the seven sons, Julius and Harry, in Toronto, and Solomon, Benjamin, Emanuel, Louis, and Oscar, in New York. Mr. Bachrack was the founder and president of the Bachrack Wholesale Dry Goods Company of Toronto and New York.
Each of his daughters, Isabel, Ruth and Charlotte, of Toronto, and Mrs. J. E. Goldman, of New York, were bequeathed $5,000 to be paid when they should attain their majority or should marry.
Morris Bachrack was born 59 (69?) years ago in Russia. When he was only 12 years old he went to New York, and came to Toronto in 1887. He started a retail dry goods business on Queen Street west, and twenty years ago moved to Yonge street, to the store that was subsequently taken over by the T. Easton Company. After that he established the Bachrack Dry Goods Company. ♦
And from the new York Times, 1920:
These buildings as well as the entire block (almost) were demolished to make way for the Eaton Centre in the mid 70’s.