A Look at Ellis Ave/Then and Now
Looking south from Morningside, then called College Street, a continuation of present day College Street. See map below.
Looking north across the train tracks with the old Swansea pumping Station on the left.
Check out a quick time lapse of these two photos below.
Looking south to the lake.
At the time the first photo was taken the Queensway did not exist. Queen Street West terminated at Parkside and resumed here at Ellis Ave continuing west. The Queensway extention was buit in 1956.
Looking east across Ellis Avenue in the mid 1950’s.
A current view of the same angle.
Looking north again, with Herne Hill visible on the far right.
Looking south across the Queensway.
Another shot of the Pump House.
The map below from 1924 shows the termination of Queen Street West at Ellis Avenue.
And on the est side of High Park, Queen stops at Parkside Drive.
It’s interesting to note that new sections of the map (new construction) have been pasted over a previous version.
The code on these is:
Red = Brick
Blue = Stone