Dundas and Runnymede/Then and Now
The N/E corner looking east in the mid 1960’s.
There are some nice looking VW’s for sale at Chuck’s Motor Sales.
The Runnymede neighbourhood was developed on the former estate of John Scarlett, who settled in this area in 1808. Scarlett quickly rose to prominence as proprietor of a number of mills along the banks of the Humber River.
In 1838 Scarlett built a rough-cast English cottage-style house named “Runnymede”, which was situated at the present day intersection of Dundas and Runnymede Roads. While the Runnymede house is no longer standing, Runnymede high school, Runnymede Hospital, Runnymede Road and many of the local churches are named after this former landmark.