Occidental Hall/the Holiday Tavern and Beyond
This is Occident Hall at the South east corner of Queen and Bathurst.
The first recorded work of renowned Toronto Architect E .J. Lennox,
“Builder of Toronto”
Built in 1876 as a Masonic Lodge with shops on the ground level.
From 1948 and up to about 1984 it was known as the Holiday Tavern and helped to give the intersection it’s now famous name of “F*ck Face City” as coined by Chris Houston. The Big Bop is now closed and has been turned into a Crate and Barrel.
Currently there appears to be some restoration of the facade under way.
removal of the angel stone cladding and gutting years of
insensitive alterations to the interior. It will be interesting to watch the progress.