Cypress Street/Wm. Davies Factory
Cypress south of Eastern, 1922.
In 1879, William Davies constructed a new facility further to the east, on the south side of Front Street at the Don River, which soon became the second largest pork processing plant on the continent. In addition to curing pork for export, he began slaughtering and processing hogs, and his business became the first continuous/moving rail hog-slaughtering facility in Canada. In 1891, the new plant was the first in Canada to feature an artificial refrigeration unit.
So many pigs were “processed” through this facility that “Hogtown” became Toronto’s nick name.
Parts of this factory were still standing in the late 1990’s as we shot a TV movie there, Charles Bronson in “Family of Cops III”.