Dundas and Spadina/ Then and Now
The N/E corner of Dundas and Spadina in 1921, the home of Dr.H.H. Moorhouse will soon be demolished to make way for the Standard Theatre.
Looking north across Dundas sometime in the late 1960’s. The car in the foreground is a post 1965 Corvair. The Victory Theatre, formerly The Standard Theatre opened in 1921 and was one of the finest Yiddish theatres in North America. In 1935 it was renamed The Strand and re-opened as a movie house and was again renamed The Victory after the war. It continued to operate as a burlesque house until 1975.
Another shot of the Victory from an excellent site, Silent Toronto.
For more on the Toronto Burlesque scene in the 50’s and 60’s click here.
Buildings in red are brick, those in yellow are wood.