Walnut Hall on Shuter Street, Going, Going, Gone
John O’Donohoe, a local politician, auctioneer and land speculator, purchased a lot on Shuter Street in Toronto in 1853. A four-unit terrace, known as O’Donohoe Row, was designed by architect John Tully and completed on the lot in 1856. At three and half storeys, the building featured buff brick with decorative brickwork and stone detailing, a symmetrical façade, a gabled roof and dormer windows.
At the time, Shuter Street was located in a prestigious residential neighbourhood. Given its location and the quality of its construction, O’Donohoe Row was intended to cater to the affluent middle class, and was representative of the Georgian-style brick row houses which flourished in Toronto in the 1850s.
The character of the neighbourhood changed, and the building was renamed Walnut Hall Apartment House in 1903. In 1949, the interior was converted to a rooming house, and a number of changes were made to the exterior, including the conversion of the southeast corner to a storefront.
Although the building was granted historical status it was allowed to rot and eventually the elements took their toll.
The building stated to collapse and was deemed a safety hazard and demolished.
For more on the story please click here.
Sometime in the 1970’s.