What's the Future Ever Done for Me?

Posts tagged “Front and Cherry Street

Palace Street School/Now and Then

Palace Street School/Now and ThenI am reposting this article because of a correction to something that was mis labled.

The Palace Street School at Front and Cherry Street (1858) is the oldest multi-room school house in Toronto. At the time Front Street was called Palace Street and this area was considered “downtown”. Fern Street in Parkdale was also called Cherry Street.

A detailed history of this building can be found here.

Palace Street School/Now and Then

The red square outlines the original school and the blue outline a later addition known as the Palace Street Hotel.

Palace Street School/Now and Then

A well preserved interior classroom window.

Palace Street School/Now and Then

The boys entrance.

pictures-r-2793By 1890 the school had become the Cherry Street Hotel and the addition was added in 1900 becoming the Eastern Star Hotel. and remained open until World War 2.

From the photo above¬† (1950’s)you can see it’s being used as a warehouse for Tippit- Richardson Moving and Storage. Across the street was a Regent Gas Station.

Palace Street School/Now and Then

This view shows the Hotel addition that for many years was known as the Canary Restaurant. These buildings are all owned by the Provincial Government and will be used in the upcoming Pan Am Games.

Palace Street School/Now and Then

Looking into the empty hotel a safe can be seen at the back. Legend has it that bootleg whiskey was stored here during prohibition, before being smuggled south of the border. For more detailed information on the Palace Street School click here.

10269386_660512257352095_7197198151587109131_n

Palace Street School/Now and Then

 The Canary (1965-2010).

Palace Street School/Now and Then

This school on Louisa Street, built in 1862, is strikingly similar in design to the Palace School.

Louisa Street is no more but it did run east west between Yonge and Terauley (Bay) south of Agnes street (now Dundas).

The school was demolished sometime between 1913 and 1922 when it was replaced by an Eatons’ factory/warehouse.

Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 3.35.35 PM

14The iconic Canary Restaurant as shot by Bill Wrigley.

P1050899 P1050898The sign has been salvaged and can be found in a warehouse on Wabash Av in Parkdale.

business3-2-1Here’s a map from 1966 that shows Alice Street renamed Treauley Street (the former name of Bay Street).

Agnes Street was renamed Dundas.

See comment below.

Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 10.29.58 AM

This map from 1858 shows the intersection before the school was built. Cherry street appears mis-spelled as Gerry Street.Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 10.39.55 AMAnd here in 1913.


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 124 other followers